Who knew zucchini could taste this good? This is a fresh and flavorful rainbow on your plate! Salty bacon and juicy tomatoes pair perfectly with fresh, homemade vegan pesto. Thanks to Paleo Running Momma for the original recipe. Since a major ingredient of pesto is garlic, we adjusted the recipe to keep this low-FODMAP friendly.
Pesto Zoodles with Bacon and Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup almonds raw
- 2 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan
- 4 zucchini medium, spiralized
- 6 slices sugar-free bacon
- 1-2 tbsp reserved bacon fat
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To prepare the pesto: pulse the almonds and basil in a food processor until chopped. Add in the lemon juice and vegan parmesan, continue pulsing, and then stream in the extra virgin olive oil slowly and steadily until fully combined. Stir in the kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper by hand, and set your finished pesto aside.
- Cook the bacon in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once crisp, remove the bacon from the pan but leave 1-2 tbsp of bacon fat in the pan. Chop the bacon to roughly the same size as the tomato slices.
- After spiralizing the zucchini, squeeze as much as water as possible from it with paper towels or a clean cotton dish towel. Add the zoodles to the heated bacon fat in the pan over medium heat. Add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Cook the zoodles just until softened, about a minute, stirring constantly. Once they’re heated through, transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Then add the sliced tomatoes to the pan and sauté until they’re just heated through. Add them to the bowl with the zoodles.
- Add the chopped bacon to the zoodles and tomatoes with as much pesto as you like. Serve warm.