If you’re looking for an easy dinner that’s kid-friendly, low cost, and enables you to make use of random leftover veggies in your fridge, then this Chicken Casserole is your answer. We were inspired by the Fish Loaf recipe from PlumPetals and since we didn’t have any canned fish in our pantry, we adapted the recipe to work with a large can of chicken breast in water. Add a mix of colorful veggies to amp up the rainbow factor in this casserole!
- extra virgin olive oil to coat loaf pan
- 12.5 oz canned chicken breast in water
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 bell peppers red, orange, and yellow
- 1/4 cup green onion minced
- 1/2 parnsip minced
- 3/4 cup frozen peas thawed/boiled
- 1 cup ground almonds unsalted
- 2 tsp fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Coat a loaf pan with extra virgin olive oil and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Prep the vegetables. Chop the bell peppers and mince the green onion, parsnip, and fresh ginger.
- Cook the frozen peas either in a small pot of boiling water on your stove top for 3 minutes, or by heating in the microwave for 45 second intervals, until warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until a bit frothy. Drain the canned chicken of excess water.
- Use a large bowl to mix the canned chicken and vegetables together until they’re combined. Add the ground almonds and spices and mix thoroughly. Add the eggs last, mixing to combine.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Remove the casserole from the oven and let it sit in the pan for a few minutes before turning it out. Slice and enjoy!