These spicy vegan tacos feature jackfruit, a common ingredient in Indian cuisine with a texture that resembles pulled pork. Our adaptation of this taco filling recipe (originally from Forks over Knives) has a spicy chipotle sauce that also features smooth and sweet diced potatoes. The Purple slaw is slightly sweet from balsamic vinegar, and slightly smoky from paprika; it’s a great cool, fresh side to these spicy tacos.
Chipotle Jackfruit Tacos with Purple Slaw
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 2 cups Russet potatoes 1/2 inch dice
- 1 bunch green onion chopped fine
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can water-packed jackfruit drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder
- 1 tbsp New Mexico chili
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 8 fresh corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1/2 medium Purple cabbage shredded
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add a scant teaspoon of avocado oil to a skillet over medium-low heat before adding the potatoes. Allow them to heat in the oil for 3-5 minutes; add 1/4 cup of water, the green onions and ginger, and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the Purple slaw: whisk together fresh lime juice, cumin, oil, vinegar, Kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper until combined. Add the cabbage and green onion to a medium bowl, and toss with the dressing. Allow to sit and combine; the cabbage will soften as the slaw rests.
- Add the diced tomatoes, jackfruit, chilies, paprika, and the chipotle in adobo sauce. Continue cooking for 10 minutes until the liquid from the tomatoes is absorbed.
- Break the jackfruit into smaller pieces; it should resemble a pulled meat. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Assemble with fresh corn tortillas that have been warmed on a nonstick pan on medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes on each side. Add your favorite salsa or fresh avocado slices to each tortilla, and serve with a side of Purple slaw. Enjoy!