This was our Mother’s Day dessert; my husband prepared it and I honestly had a hard time believing that it was sugar-free! The original recipe from “Run Fast. Cook Fast. Eat Slow.” does include honey, but my husband used date paste instead. This parfait would also make a filling breakfast, especially with the addition of sliced bananas and slivered almonds.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Chia Vegan Parfait
Chia Seed Pudding
- 1 cup almond milk plain, unsweetened
- 1 cup non-dairy yogurt plain, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 tbsp Date Paste
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 cups strawberries quartered, stems removed
- 2-3 stalk rhubarb ends discarded
- 2 tbsp Date Paste
- 2 tbsp water
- Make the chia pudding: combine the yogurt, non-dairy milk, chia seeds, date paste, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours, or ideally, overnight. Check it once after 10 minutes and stir if the chia is not evenly distributed.
- Make the strawberry-rhubarb compote: Combine the strawberries, rhubarb, date paste, and water in a medium saucepan. Simmer uncovered and stir occasionally until the rhubarb breaks down and the sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Allow the compote to cool down completely before serving; it will thicken as it cools.
- Assemble the parfait: layer the chia pudding and then the compote in glass jars (half-pint work well) twice, and then top with berries granola, or chopped nuts. Enjoy!