Our eight-year-old loved this chicken stew from Tu Casa Mi Casa with chipotle, green onions, and fresh plum tomatoes so much, he had three helpings! We served this for dinner with Slow Braised Collard Greens, and paired leftovers with sliced fresh avocado for lunch the next day.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breast
- 1 bunch green onions 1/2 chopped, 1/2 whole
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger 1/2 minced, 1/2 chopped
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 dried chipotle chiles chopped to a paste
- 9 plum tomatoes chopped
- Combine the chicken, whole green onions, chopped ginger, and salt in a medium pot. Cover with water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Simmer uncovered 30-40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the broth and let it rest until cool enough for you to handle.
- Shred the chicken using your hands, and set aside. Strain and reserve the broth.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in your pot. Add the chopped green onion, minced ginger and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the shredded chicken, chipotle chiles, tomatoes, and 1 cup of the reserved broth, and cook 5-10 minutes or until the tomato breaks down and turns dark red.
- Season with salt to taste; if the mixture gets too dry, add more broth to retain a stew consistency. Serve hot.