This may be one of our favorite preparations for trout, ever! Our eight-year-old enjoyed it so much, he was willing to try to cheek meat (which he loved)! We served this alongside our Roasted Cauliflower with Cumin, Chili, and Almonds.
Roasted Trout with Bacon
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 tbsp unsalted vegan butter
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1 lb trout gutted, left whole
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon peel sliced off down to the flesh, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs (e.g. rosemary, tarragon, parsley) finely chopped
- Heat your oven to 450 degrees. Cut the bacon lengthwise in thin slivers – roll the slices like you would to julienne and then slicing through the rolls.
- Put the vegan butter and oil in a baking dish large enough to hold fish. Place in the oven until the butter melts and starts to color. Add the bacon slivers to the baking dish and cook 10-15 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Remove the bacon and place on a paper-towel lined plate. Leave the fat in the baking dish.
- Pat the trout dry and season it with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place in the baking dish and baste it with the hot fat. Roast the trout for 10 minutes. Baste again.
- Break the cooked bacon into 1-inch pieces and scatter, along with the lemon bits, over the fish. Add chicken stock to the baking dish and roast for 5 minutes. Baste again and scatter the herbs. Roast for 2 final minutes more.
- Serve directly from dish, spooning the pan juices over the fish.