When I first learned I was allergic to dairy, I actually mourned the loss of homemade Caesar salad from my life because it was one of my favorite “fancy” salads to make at home. This recipe brings me joy, not only because it’s fast and easy, or because it’s a one pan meal; but because it’s a version of Caesar salad that I can enjoy without dairy! Although the anchovies are optional, for me they’re a must.
Parmesan Chicken with Caesar-Roasted Romaine
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan Parmesan grated
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs see note
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 2 hearts of romaine large, halved lengthwise
- 4 anchovy fillets, packed in oil drained, chopped
- 1 lemon cut into 8 wedges
- Roast chicken: Preheat your oven to 450° F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place on the prepared sheet. Combine the cheese, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons of oil, and half of the minced ginger in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Pat breadcrumb mixture onto breasts. Roast chicken about 10 minutes or until the breadcrumbs begin to brown.
- Drizzle the romaine with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining fresh ginger. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the rimmed baking sheet from the oven and place the romaine around the chicken. Roast about 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the lettuce is browned at the edges.
- Divide among plates. Top lettuce with anchovies (optional); serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over. Enjoy!