We had one head of cabbage leftover from a farm basket, and before it got too wilted, we roasted it. Saved! This breakfast only looks fancy; it’s quite simple and delicious! You can make amp up the spice by adding more crushed red pepper.
Roasted Cabbage and Olive-Oil-Fried Eggs with Spicy Almond Relish
- 1 cabbage medium, cut into 8 wedges with core attached
- 1 1/2 lb red potatoes halved and quartered
- 9 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup almonds slivered or sliced
- 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 eggs per serving
- 2 1/2 oz vegan Parmesan grated
- Roast the cabbage wedges: Preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange cabbage wedges on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and gently turn the wedges to coat. Season each wedge with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast until bottoms of cabbage are browned, about 30 minutes.
- Boil the potatoes: after halving and quartering the potatoes to equal size, cook them until softened (a fork should easily push through) in a pot of salted boiling water, 10-15 minutes.
- Make the relish: mix the almonds, crushed red pepper, 4 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Fry the potatoes: after the potatoes have boiled, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large nonstick skillet on medium-high. Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Turn the potatoes after 3-4 minutes to crisp and brown both sides; remove from heat.
- Using the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high. Crack your eggs into the skillet and season them to taste with salt and black pepper. Cook until whites are set and edges are crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Serve eggs on top of cabbage and potatoes. Top with spicy almond relish and vegan Parmesan cheese.