I was craving creamy, cheesy pasta – but dairy allergy says no – and this recipe hit the spot! Gluten-free rice elbow pasta, a cashew creme sauce, and lots of sweet green peas complete the trifecta. The photo below in our Dutch Oven shows a double recipe – the boys wanted to bring a few servings with them on a camping trip, so we doubled up to ensure plenty for everyone!
Vegan Mac n Peas
- 2 yellow potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 medium carrot peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3-4 green onions chopped rough
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 16 oz gluten-free macaroni cooked
- 2 cups green peas
- paprika to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chipotle salsa or favorite salsa
- Add potatoes, carrot, and green onion to a large pot or Dutch oven of boiling water. Cover and allow the vegetables to cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Reserve 2 cups of the water and remove the vegetables from the pot.
- Add potatoes, carrot, onion, cashews, salsa, and seasonings to a blender with half of the reserved water. Blend, adding a few tablespoons of water at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Pour the vegetable sauce over the cooked macaroni and stir in the green peas before serving. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.