Once in a while, we are so efficient in our meal planning that by the end of the week, the last meal before we plan to go to the grocery story we run out of fresh food in the fridge. Whenever this happens, I pull out whatever scraps and wilted bits of veggies we still have and figure out how to make use of them – frittatas and stir fries come to mind. Next time this happens to you, consider an easy option like this fast fried rice.
Fast Veggie Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice brown or white
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 2-3 green onions chopped fine
- 1-2 carrots chopped fine
- 2 slices bacon paleo or sugar-free
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon until crispy enough to easily crumble. Set aside.
- Pour the olive oil into a large pan over medium heat. Add the minced ginger, green onions, and carrots, and stir gently for 5 minutes. Add the peas, and continue to stir gently until all veggies are softened and the peas are thoroughly heated (3-4 minutes). Season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Add the rice into the pan and stir to combine. then add the coconut aminos and stir again until well incorporated. Add the crumbled bacon and mix gently to combine.
- Remove from heat; serve and enjoy!