We brought so many plum tomatoes home from the farmer’s market that we knew we wouldn’t be able to eat them all fresh. We decided to roast a batch; roasting tomatoes helps them develop a richer flavor and brings out their sweetness. This recipe is one of the simplest from “Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics” and it’s simply delicious with fresh vegan mozzarella from Miyoko’s Creamery. This is pretty much our favorite plant-based cheese and I’m not receiving anything from the links I share; I really just want others to discover it!
Roasted Tomato Caprese
- 12 plum tomatoes halved lengthwise, seeds (not cores) removed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 16 oz fresh vegan Mozzarella
- 12 fresh basil leaves julienned
- Preheat your oven to 275 degrees F. Arrange the prepared tomatoes on a sheet pan with the cut sides up. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with the coconut sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Roast the tomatoes for 2 hours or until they've concentrated and begun to caramelize (turn brown). Allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Cut the mozzarella into slices approximately 1/3 the width of the tomatoes. Add one vegan cheese slice to the top of each roasted tomato; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle lightly with olive oil (if you have an oil spray, use that to get a nice light coating).
- Scatter the fresh basil evenly over the top and serve. Enjoy!