This is smoky and tangy salsa originally from “Tacolicious” combines roasted and fresh tomatillos with avocado and fresh jalapeno. You can dial the spice up or down based on the amount of jalapeno you include.
Spicy Tomatillo Avocado Salsa
- 10 tomatillos husks removed
- 2 avocados Hass if available
- 1 jalapeno chile stemmed and seeded
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 4 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 tso Kosher salt
- Roast 5 tomatillos: turn on the broiler in your oven, ensuring that you place a rack at the top level, close to the broiler. Broil the tomatillos until slightly charred and softened on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, about 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Slice and mash the avocados in a small bowl. Measure out 1 1/2 cups and set the rest aside for another use (avocado toast perhaps).
- Add all of your tomatillos, the 5 roasted and the 5 fresh, to a blender with the avocado, chile, cumin, and lime juice and puree on high speed until completely smooth (less than 1 minute). Add the salt and continue to blend until combined.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in your fridge for 2-3 days.