When we read about a traditional southern biscuits and gravy recipe that worked for a Paleo and dairy-free diet, we had to give it a try. The sausage is terrific, simply and deeply seasoned; the gravy is lightly sweet from coconut milk; and the biscuits soak in all the yummy goodness from the first two. Next time we make this, we’re going to use a different biscuit recipe because we don’t like the dry texture of the coconut flour. They look wonderful, though!
These recipes come from “Paleo Comfort Foods” by Julie & Charles Mayfield.
Breakfast Sausage with Paleo Biscuits and Dairy-Free Gravy
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp paprika
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp cold coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- Mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl. Form 4 equal-sized patties.
- Place patties onto a skillet heating over medium. Cook until browned and then flip over and continue cooking until the sausage is fully cooked through. Remove sausages from heat but don't clean the skillet.
- Add the almond flour and arrowroot powder to the hot skillet you used to make the sausage, with the pork drippings still in the pan. Whisk over medium-low heat until a paste forms.
- Pour in about 1/4 of the coconut milk, the paprika, salt, and pepper; turn the heat up to medium and stir until you incorporate any remaining bits from the pan into the mixture.
- Pour in the remaining coconut milk, stirring frequently. Bring the sauce up to a light simmer until the gravy reaches your desired thickness. You can add the sausage back in to the skillet, or pour the gravy over the sausages on a separate plate.
- Whisk the egg whites in a medium bowl until they are very frothy.
- Mix the two flours, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the cold coconut oil and use your fingers to incorporate it into a crumbly mixture.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- After removing the flour and oil mixture from your refrigerator, gently fold in the egg whites. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the batter on a greased cookie sheet; you should be able to make 4 large biscuits.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut a biscuit in half, place a sausage patty in the middle, and pour gravy all over. Enjoy!