We prepare turkey meatballs and spaghetti squash whenever we want to cut our boys some slack – we make them traditional spaghetti to accompany their meatballs. We all end up super-happy with our dinner plates! I’m particularly pleased with this batch because it incorporates secret veggies and because we used homemade Roasted Tomato Sauce.
Easy Turkey Meatballs and Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 1 lb ground turkey thighs
- 1/2 lb ground turkey breast
- 2 zucchini grated
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 4 tbsp chives minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 12 plum tomatoes
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and most of the stringy parts, and then brush the inside of the squash with oil and sprinkle with the salt.
- Place the two halves cut-side down on baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes, or until a knife easily cuts through the skin and flesh. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- When you're ready to serve, use a fork to scrape out the "spaghetti" strings from the cooked squash.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the ground turkey in a large bowl by hand together with the zucchini, carrot, chives, fresh ginger, coconut aminos, salt, and black pepper.
- Roll palm-size meatballs and place onto a cooking sheet.
- Bake in heated oven for 15-20 minutes, turning the meatballs over halfway through.
Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the plum tomatoes in half lengthwise. Place them on the prepared baking sheets and drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the top. Sprinkle on salt and pepper. For extra sweetness, add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar over the top as well.
- Roast for 4 hours or longer, until the tomatoes are browned and thoroughly roasted. Allow to cool. Add to your food processor with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil plus salt and pepper to taste. Heat on the stove top. You can freeze any extra sauce.