We adapted this recipe from the Whole Life Challenge website. The original recipe used turkey, and you could just as easily use chicken. We opted for pork cutlets which we broiled in the oven and served on top of the tart stew.
Pork Tomatillo Stew
- 1 lb pork cutlets
- 2 cups fresh tomatillo
- 1 cup cabbage chopped
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 jalapeno de-seeded and minced
- 1 bunch green onion diced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat your oven to 365 degrees F. Whisk together the lime juice, 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, salt, and freshly ground black pepper and use it to marinate the pork for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Place the tomatillos on a baking sheet and cook for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and chop when slightly cooled.
- Turn on your broiler (500 degrees F). Place the pork on a rimmed baking sheet to broil the pork, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove from oven.
- Prepare the stew: , add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to a large pot on medium heat. Add in the carrots, jalapenos, and green onion. Allow to simmer until fragrant.
- Add the cabbage into the pot and saute until the cabbage has cooked down. Add the chopped tomatillos and a cup of chicken broth.
- Plate the stew in large bowl, with a pork on top.