This recipe comes from “Bi-Rite Market’s Eat Good Food“. String beans are a great veggie for a family dinner. They’re available fresh or frozen, and have a mild, sweet taste that easily conforms to whatever seasoning and flavor combinations you apply to them. This side dish comes together in less than fifteen minutes – it’s so easy!
Spicy Sesame String Beans
- 3/4 lb string beans green or yellow, trimmed
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce or coconut amigos for vegan
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1 small jalapeno or Thai chile minced
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame seeds black or white (or both!)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, ensuring the water is salted. Add the beans and cook 3-4 minutes or until tender but not mushy. If you prefer crunchier beans, pull them out of the boiling water sooner.
- Strain the beans in a colander and spread them on a paper-towel lined plate or baking sheet to cool.
- Prepare the dressing in a small bowl: whisk to combine the vinegar, salt, olive oil, fish sauce, sesame oil, and chile.
- Put the beans in a large bowl and drizzle the dressing over, tossing gently to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and toss again to combine. Enjoy!