I’m particularly pleased with this recipe. I was able to utilize hazelnut pulp (from homemade hazelnut milk) and create an original recipe that tasted great and is easy to reproduce. The scones aren’t too sweet, with hints of strawberry, cocoa, and hazelnut. My recommendation: enjoy these toasted with nut butter (almond or cashew) smeared over the top! You don’t need hazelnut pulp to make this recipe – hazelnut flour is available commercially, or you can grind up whole nuts in your food processor to make flour.
Strawberry Nutella Scones (Vegan, Paleo)
- 1 2/3 cups hazelnut flour
- 1 cup almond flour plus 1 tbsp
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 2/3 cup frozen strawberries defrosted
- 3 tbsp date paste
- 3 flax eggs
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, cocoa powder, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda. In a blender, combine the coconut oil, flax eggs, date paste, vanilla, and strawberries together. Blend on high speed for about 1 minute, until smooth.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Form scant 1/4 cups of batter into rounds and place on the prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. Let the scones cool 20-30 minutes on the baking sheets before serving.