As with so many of our veggie dishes, our mystery farm basket delivery precipitated this recipe. We received a bag of beautiful, ripe and sweet tomatoes. The original recipe, from “Bi-Rite Market’s Eat Good Food“, is a bit more complex than our version. It’s a fresh and delicious salad that lasted in the fridge for three days without getting soggy. I happily brought the leftovers to the office with me for lunch.
Summer Corn & Tomato Salad
- Kosher salt
- 3 large ears corn
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4-5 green onions chopped fine
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium bell pepper diced fine
- 1/3 English Cucumber diced fine
- Cook the corn: bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cut the kernels from the corn and add them to the pot, cooking for just 1 1/2 minutes. The kernels should still be a little crunchy. Pour into a colander and run cold water over the kernels; set aside.
- Prepare the dressing: whisk to combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine the corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, green onion, and cucumber in a medium bowl. Pour half the dresssing over the vegetables and stir gently to coat. Then pour in the remaining dressing and toss. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!