A few months ago I published a recipe for a Vegan Risotto with mushrooms and peas, based on a recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks, “Run Fast. Cook Fast. Eat Slow.” I used that recipe as inspiration to create a dairy free Zucchini Risotto with dill, fresh rosemary, and vegan Parmesan. Salty, creamy, and so good! I love this low-fuss preparation because it doesn’t require me to continuously stir the rice while slowly adding broth.
Zucchini Risotto (Dairy Free)
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter/vegan butter
- 3 cups chicken stock or vegetable, for vegan
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 4-5 green onions chopped
- 1 large zucchini (or 2 medium) trimmed and finely diced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme minced
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 cup vegan Parmesan
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot with a lid over medium-high heat. Add the green onion and kosher salt. Stir occasionally and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Stir in the zucchini, fresh rosemary, and dill.
- Remove the lid and simmer uncovered for another 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until nearly all of the excess liquid has evaporated. Leave just enough broth to keep the rice creamy.
- Stir in the vegan Parmesan, lemon juice, and freshly ground black pepper. Serve and enjoy!