This recipe from Forks Over Knives was easy to adapt based on the food we had available in our pantry. My older son had three helpings (plus a fourth piece of the Gluten-Free Flatbread from Feasting on Fruit) and all of us enjoyed the meal immensely. It was simple and came together quickly. We served roasted sweet potato fries and fresh cherry tomatoes on the side.
Vegan Sloppy Joe’s
- 1 cup pearled barley cooked to package instructions
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch green onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1 3/4 cup low-FODMAP Barbecue Sauce recipe link in notes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari gluten-free
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Gluten-Free Flatbread recipe link in notes
- Cook the onion, peppers, and celery in a large skillet over medium heat with the extra-virgin olive oil until the veggies are softened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in cooked barley, barbecue sauce, and soy sauce, and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Warm up flatbreads and add a generous scoop of Sloppy Joe to each bread. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 1/2 cups tapioca flour
- 4 medium yellow potatoes to make 2 cup potato puree
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Prepare the potato puree: chop the potatoes and boil them in a saucepan with the water, until tender. Transfer potatoes and water to a blender; blend until smooth. Add a little water as needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Add 2 cups of the potato puree. Mix to form a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Divide into 10 balls. Roll out each ball to about 1 cm thickness. You'll need up to 1 cup of flour for the rolling surface, to keep the dough from sticking too much. Keep the dough balls in a bowl, covered with a wet paper towel to keep the dough from drying out.
- Heat a non-stick skillet to medium-high heat. Place a flatbread in the pan and cook for 1.5 to 3 minutes before flipping and cooking for another 1.5 to 3 minutes on the second side.
- There should be some light brown spots on each side. Remove from heat and place on a plate under a damp towel to keep them soft while you cook the others.