The original recipe from Ina Garten's "Barefoot Contessa: Backs to Basics" calls for fresh corn and unsalted butter. We found that frozen corn and vegan butter work really well, and produce a bright and richly sweet side dish.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 orange, red, or yellow bell pepper 1/2-inch diced
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh basil julienned or finely chopped
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a saute pan. Add the green onion and bell pepper, and saute until they're both soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the vegan butter to the pan. After it melts, add the corn, salt, and pepper, and cook until the corn is hot, stirring frequently.
Remove from heat. Stir in the basil and serve hot.