Adapted from Ina Garten’s “Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics”. The original recipe was based on an apple cider vinaigrette. We didn’t have any apple cider in our fridge, but we did have fresh organic orange juice. We kept this salad vegan with our fave “Follow Your Heart” vegan Parmesan.
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 1/2 lb butternut squash peeled and 1/2 inch diced
- 3 tbsp dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp green onion chopped
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz arugula
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped and toasted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese vegan
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Evenly coat your diced butternut squash with olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Place on a sheet pan and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until soft.
- Add the cranberries to the sheet pan for the last 5 minutes; they will caramelize and add a lovely chewy texture to the salad.
- While the squash is roasting, make the citrus vinaigrette. Combine the orange juice, cider vinegar, and green onions in a small pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the liquid reduces to about 1/4 cup, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- While the liquid is reducing, toast the chopped walnuts. Keep an eye on the nuts to ensure they don’t burn.
- Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the Dijon mustard, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Compose your salad by laying the arugula into a large salad bowl and adding the roasted squash, cranberries, walnuts, and grated vegan Parmesan. Add citrus vinaigrette to the salad and then toss well to coat.