We LOVE cooking one-pan meals because they make clean-up fast and easy. This recipe has the added benefit of flexibility. You can swap in any type of sausage that you enjoy, including a plant-based sausage to make this meal vegan. Green cabbage or brussel sprouts would pair just as nicely as red cabbage. You can also mix and match the types of potatoes you roast; we used a mix of russet and sweet for this incarnation. With any veggie choice, the lightly crushed caraway and coriander seeds really amp up the flavor factor. We adapted this recipe from Melissa Clark and The New York Times.
Chicken Sausage with Potato and Red Cabbage
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb baby potatoes halved or quartered if large
- 1/2 lb sweet potatoes 1/2 inch dice
- 1/2 head red cabbage (approx. 1 lb) core removed, cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
- 1 tsp caraway seeds lightly crushed
- 1 tsp coriander seeds lightly crushed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3-4 green onions finely chopped
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 6 fresh sausages (chicken, pork, turkey, vegan) approx. 1 1/2 lb
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup vegan Parmesan
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup dill chopped
- Heat your oven to 425 degrees. Coat olive oil onto a metal baking dish (9-by-13-inch is preferred). Place potatoes on one side of dish and cabbage wedges on the other side.
- Sprinkle the crushed seeds and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt on top. Scatter green onions and drizzle extra virgin olive oil over everything. Add the thyme and rosemary sprigs to the pan, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cut your sausages in half lengthwise. Coat them in Dijon mustard with a spoon or brush.
- Pull the dish out of the oven and carefully flip over the cabbage wedges with tongs. Sprinkle everything with vegan Parmesan, and then place the sausages on top of the cabbage and potatoes, cut side down.
- Roast until everything is browned on top, about 15-25 minutes. For the chicken sausages, it took closer to 25 minutes, but other sausages may brown faster. Make sure the fresh sausage is no longer pink inside before removing from oven.
- Remove the dish from the oven and place sausages on a plate. Grate lemon zest and sprinkle with the chopped dill all over the vegetables. Serve together, with additional Dijon mustard and lemon wedges on the side.