You won’t miss the dairy in this savory, paleo-friendly, wheat- and sugar-free vegan mushroom soup. Thanks to Paleo Running Momma, one of our favorite food blogs, for the inspiration!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 8 oz mushroom mixed variety
- 1/2 jalapeno minced
- 1 bunch green onion chopped
- 1/2 parnsip small
- 2 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk full fat
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Chop and mince all of your veggies as you heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the vegan butter or other cooking fat of your choice, and as it melts, add the parsnips, ginger, and jalapeno. Wait 2-3 minutes and then add the green onions and mushrooms. Add about half the kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sauté veggies for a 2-3 more minutes, until translucent and fragrant. Then remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the tapioca starch.
- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, nutmeg, thyme, sage, and remaining salt and pepper. Turn the heat back on to high and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer the soup for another 10 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Use a blender (or immersion blender if you have one) to puree the soup. After all of the soup is creamy, turn the heat back to medium and bring the soup back to a simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!