When we found a recipe for risotto with mushrooms and peas in one of our favorite cookbooks “Run Fast. Cook Fast. Eat Slow.“, we decided to re-imagine this typically dairy-heavy rice dish with plant-based products. The result was a rich, salty, and cheesy (yes, cheesy) vegan risotto, that we’d definitely make again. We also love this preparation because it’s not as fussy as traditional risotto; it doesn’t require you to stand over the stove and continuously stir the rice while slowly adding broth. Double-win!
Vegan Risotto with Mushrooms and Peas
- 2 tbsp non-dairy butter or coconut oil
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 bunch green onions chopped fine
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup short grain rice white or brown
- 1 cup non-dairy Parmesan
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the non-dairy butter or coconut oil in a large pot with a lid over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, green onion, ginger, and kosher salt. Stir occasionally and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer uncovered for another 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until nearly all of the excess liquid has evaporated. Leave just enough broth to keep the rice creamy.
- Stir in the vegan Parmesan, peas, lemon zest, lemon juice, and freshly ground black pepper. Serve and enjoy!