When I saw a recipe for Cherry-Almond Clafoutis in “A Platter of Figs” by David Tanis, I knew I wanted to try to make a dairy and wheat free version of this classic baked fruit French tart. Tanis recommends using fresh cherries, but to keep costs down and to cut time from pitting 2 pounds of cherries, I used frozen pitted cherries instead. I also omitted the kirsch because we didn’t have any on hand and I wasn’t going to purchase an entire bottle just to use a “splash”. This recipe tastes best warm; I hope you’ll give it a try and let me know your thoughts!
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 lb frozen pitted cherries thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup blanched almond slices
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk almond or oat
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or almond extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Butter and flour (with almond flour) a baking dish, 10- or 12-inch.
- Arrange the thawed and drained cherries in the bottom of the pan, and scatter the blanched almond slices over top.
- Beat the eggs with the coconut sugar and almond flour until the mixture is smooth. Whisk in the non-dairy milk; I used almond milk but I think oat milk would provide a thicker consistency. Add the extract, and pour the batter over the fruit.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy warm, or at a room temperature.