My husband made a batch of the tangy achiote-rubbed grilled chicken from “Tacolicious” with a few adaptations to make it Performance level compliant for the Whole Life Challenge. He omitted the agave nectar and orange juice, and used cumin instead of annatto seeds. The results are delicious – the chicken is slightly smoky and peppery, with just a bit of heat. I whisked up a small batch of balsamic vinaigrette to dress the greens, added a few slices of avocado, organic cherry tomatoes, green onion and fresh chives.
Grilled Chicken Salad
- 2 lb chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp chile powder arbol
- 2 tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 cups mixed organic greens washed and chopped
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4-5 green onions chopped
- 3-4 chives chopped fine
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare the marinade: combine the cumin, allspice, turmeric, chile powder, 2 tablespoons Kosher salt, oregano, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Place the chicken breasts in a heavy duty plastic bag with a zip top, or a plastic-ware container, and add the spice mixture. Evenly coat both sides of the chicken with the mixture; marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight.
- Bring the chicken to room temperature and remove it from the marinade before grilling. Cook the breasts for up to 10 minutes on each side, monitoring to ensure it doesn't burn. You'll know the chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees F at it's thickest part.
- Prepare the dressing: combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper into a medium bowl and whisk to emulsify.
- Pour the dressing over the greens and green onions, and toss to coat. Divide the dressed greens into each salad bowl.
- Add the sliced avocado, cherry tomatoes, and sliced room temperature chicken breast to the salad; sprinkle fresh chives over the top and enjoy!