I took both boys with me to a local farmer’s market over the weekend, and knew we had to come home with a big bag of fresh, beautiful heirloom tomatoes and juicy peaches. Once we arrived home, I searched for a way to use them together, and found a recipe through the Food Network Archives. It claimed to be super-quick and simple, with an easy basil puree. Sold! We made it a bit fancier by adding vegan ricotta and sliced almonds to the top. While these additions added only seconds to the prep time, they added a ton of flavor and created a nicely balanced dish. Enjoy!
Tomato Peach Basil Summer Salad
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 yellow peaches ripe and firm
- 4 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 oz ricotta vegan
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- Cut the peaches and tomatoes into wedges and arrange onto a serving platter. Sprinkle with the fresh lemon juice, Kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the basil to the boiling water and cook 15 seconds or until just wilted and bright green. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a blender and puree until smooth. With the machine running, add the olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Pour the basil puree evenly over the peach and tomato wedges on the serving platter. Place dollops of ricotta over the top; sprinkle sliced almonds evenly and serve.