Last week’s farm basket included some beautiful summer squash, basil, and parsley. Instead of cooking the zucchini, we decided to try a raw preparation. We based this recipe on one we found in The New York Times by Alexa Weibel; her version included pecorino, garlic, and almonds. Ours is vegan and low-FODMAP friendly.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chives minced
- 2 tbsp capers chopped
- 2 tsp caper brine
- 1 tsp lemon zest plus 1 tbsp juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 medium summer squash or zucchini
- 1/4 cup fresh Basil torn
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted salted almonds chopped (optional)
- Prepare the dressing: whisk together the olive oil, chives, capers and brine, and lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cut the zucchini into 1/4-inch-thick "batons"; first cut them into 2-inch segments, then slice those lengthwise into thin (1/4 in) slabs, and cut those lengthwise. Add to a medium bowl.
- Season the cut squash with salt and pepper, to taste. Coat with the prepared dressing, and then toss with the herbs. Sprinkle the almonds over top before serving. Enjoy!