The first time I tried Brussels Sprouts 20 years ago, I hated them. My husband (then boyfriend) brought home a bag from our local grocer, and proceeded to torture them until they were unedible. Neither of us is sure what he did to them, but they tasted bitter and mushy. Thankfully, I gave them a try a few years later, because in reality, I love Brussels Sprouts. We prepare them regularly, and we’re always looking for new ways to enjoy them. This is my first raw preparation, and wow is it good.
Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 1/4 lb brussels sprouts
- 6 slices bacon cooked crisp and crumbled, fat drained and reserved
- extra-virgin olive oil as needed
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 green onion minced
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/4 cup pistachios toasted
- Prep the brussels sprouts: peel off the darker outer leaves and trim any discoloration and the stems. Use a food processor fitted with the slicer attachment to thinly slice the sprouts to about 1/16 inch.
- Transfer the sliced sprouts to a large bowl and add the bacon. Set aside.
- Measure 1/4 cup of the reserved bacon fat into a small pan and warm over low heat. If you don't have enough fat, add olive oil to reach 1/4 cup total. Remove from the heat and whisk in the lemon juice, vinegar, green onion, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Drizzle the dressing over the brussels sprouts and toss to coat. Add salt to taste, if necessary.
- Before serving, sprinkle toasted pistachios over each serving. Enjoy!