Larb is a classic Lao meat salad served at room temperature, making it perfect hot weather food. The seasoning for the meat is spicy; the lettuce wraps are crunchy and light; and serving the dish with raw vegetables or salad offers beautiful contrast. We served Spicy Sesame String Beans as a side dish, and prepared Japanese rice just for our sons to enjoy.
Chicken Larb Lettuce Wraps
- 1 1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs finely minced with a knife
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- 1/4 tsp crushed dried chile
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup green onion minced
- black and white sesame seeds optional
- Cook the minced chicken: pace it in a pot with water to cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is done (a few minutes).
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken. fish sauce, lime juice, coconut aminos, and chile. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Lay the lettuce leaf on a plate and spoon the chicken mixture into the middle. Top with minced green onions and optional sesame seeds and serve. Enjoy!