Late June through early September is prime peach time in our part of the world. We’ve already enjoyed a sweet Peach Blueberry Paleo Crumble and a colorful Tomato Peach Basil Summer Salad, and we decided to end peach season on a high note – with a spicy-sweet bbq sauce for grilled chicken and peppers. This recipe originated from “Afro-Vegan” by Bryant Terry.
Pomegranate Peach Barbecue Sauce
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4-5 green onions chopped fine
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup diced peaches
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp tamari gluten-free if preferred
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1-3 tbsp chipotle chile in adobo sauce chopped (quantity depends on spice preference)
- Use a small saucepan to warm the oil over medium heat. Add the green onion, salt, and cayenne and saute for 5 minutes, until the onion is soft.
- Transfer to a blender, and add the peaches, tomato sauce, water, vinegar, molasses, lime juice, tamari, tomato paste, and chipotle chile. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce back into the saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat to thicken the sauce, about 20 minutes. Add more salt to taste.